Some personal yes/no/maybe recommendations on Apple Products:
- Apple iPhone 4 – Yes (our first iPhone purchase and will be buying for wifey to replace an old Treo…my phone is a Nexus One)
- Apple MacBook Pro 13"*, other MacBooks – Yes
- MacBook Air – No
- Mac Mini* – Yes
- Apple TV – No
- iMac – No, better off with a mini or an iPad
- iPad – Not yet, waiting for the next version w/ Retina display and front facing camera, printing support, and general tweaks, and generally an actual need for one given that I own a MacBook Pro already…
- iPod – Nano, Yes; Shuffle/Classic */Touch, No;
- Peripherals – Keyboard*, maybe; Magic mouse, no; Cinema display*, maybe; Airport Express*/Time Capsule, No; Airport Extreme*, maybe
- Software – iLife*, Yes; iWork*, if you have to; Aperture, No; MobileMe*, No
*products I own
I think a pretty good Mac setup would be a Mac Mini for "home" stuff/home server type of deal. A MacBook Pro for work, iPads as the "secondary" computer. iPods for on the go, exercising, and for the car.
From a PC side, probably harder to cobble up a similar setup.