I'm still buying and using this soap/savon de Marseille. I just cut off a piece, however much when I need it, and haven't had to think about a body soap for over a decade now. It lathers well enough as a sometimes shampoo too. I bought three bars that should last me the next three years. I wanted something simple, basic, and genuinely good quality. Weird to be posting about soap I know, but might be helpful for someone. Also this is a bit of a maximizer/satisficer exercise, I searched for and got the "best" soap, no need to revisit that decision. Kind of a bifl (buy it for life) decision as well.
- Claus Porto from Portugal for their hand soaps pretty nice (bathroom)
- Le Labo hand soap and lotion, Hinoki (bathroom). Pretentious but nice.
- Aesop for hand soap and lotion, Resurrection and Reverence (kitchen and bathroom). Also pretentious but nice.
- Caswell-Massey (almond, jockey club, number six, and verbena scents) bar soap and almond hand soap and lotion. These were fine. Packaging and scents from above Claus Porto, Le Labo, and Aesop are better.
- Kiehl's bar soap this one is nice, but it's a little pricey
- L'Occitane verbena – hand soap was just ok
- And if all this seems silly, Dove soap or Irish Spring are just fine