Everyone should know how to make lasagne. This one is special because it's a Zachary's pizza style lasagne where the tomato sauce is on top. It's awesome.
- lasagne pasta – Rustichella d'Abruzzo if possible
- 1 16 oz can of San Marnzano plum tomatoes* (don't skimp here)
- 1 small can of tomato sauce
- 1 lb of ricotta cheese (optional)
- 1 lb of mozarella (grate fresh yourself)
- a package of spinach
- a cup of sliced brown mushrooms
- a shot of vodka
- 1 egg
- a tablespoon of butter
- 4-5 green onions or 1 small onion
- 3 – 4 cloves of garlic
- a tablespoon of olive oil
- a tablespoon of basil and tablespoon of oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
I'm not into exact ingredients those are just ballpark.
Boil water and cook the pasta. Saute onions and then garlic in olive oil for 2- 3 minutes. Chop up tomatoes and put in tomatoes and sauce. Don't bring to a boil, just keep on medium. Add vodka and basil and oregno and salt and pepper to taste. Crack egg into ricotta cheese and mix in.
Now the important part. Once you've let the pasta cool, put one layer down on the pan. Add the spinach, mushrooms, ricotta cheese, and mozarella cheese. Put another layer of pasta down. Then put the sauce on top.
Put in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
Done. Add sausage, ground beef, whatever to the bottom layer to mix it up a bit. The key is to put the sauce on top and let the melted cheese lock-in the flavors below.
* The San Marzano tomatoes are what makes Zachary's pizza have that slight sour (good) taste.