This is an unofficial draft and set of links and instructions for deploying Firefox and Thunderbird. Note that companies are already deploying Firefox and Thunderbird and others are writing up the documentation and building the tools out to support it. I'll be consolidating the resources here, and then publish on mozilla.org when ready.
Also note that Mozilla.org is focused on end user consumers (home users) and we are NOT at this time doing enterprise customer support or deployments. Supporting enterprises is HARD because everyone does something a little different and want x or y feature or x level of support. That takes up a lot of resources and we'll need to rely on consultants, and internal IT staff, etc. who already do this.
That said, there are features in Firefox and Thunderbird that are enterprise friendly and companies that are large enough have the resources to support themselves in deployment. Certainly other companies are able to provide customer and deployment support.
- Automated deployment of Firefox with extensions, themes, and pre-configuration
- Firefox ADM (Active Directory deployment)
- Lock settings such as homepage, proxy and many others in Firefox
- Set defaults on many settings within Firefox
- Create a profile on user first usage
- And feature list ever growing (already on way to same feature-completeness as IE's Group Policy setting features)
More tools and documentation to come.