July 15, 2009

New Thunderbird Icon: Iteration 3

Note: this is a draft icon rendering for the Thunderbird 3 icon, subsequent iterations will be posted as soon as they’re available.

Iteration 3. 20090715

Thunderbird3icon-i3

The icon is being rendered by Anthony Piraino at the Iconfactory.

Changes in this iteration:

• removed seal from previous iterations;
  • added detail to the envelope;
  • feathers shaped to be slightly more accurate

Current Icon

Thunderbird

Background Information

Please provide feedback via the comments section through these blog posts.

1. beautiful anthony has awesome talent

Comment by jamey boje — July 15, 2009 @ 11:36 am

2. Pretty cool now! I feel no more changes are needed.. :-)

Comment by Aamod — July 15, 2009 @ 11:38 am

3. Why did the seal go? I absolutely loved the seal. Apart from that great work on improving the envelope details. Please do bring back the seal!

Comment by Sudhir — July 15, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

4. Nice. The image says “Iteration 2″ instead of “Iteration 3″ though.

Comment by Dan — July 15, 2009 @ 2:15 pm

5. Thanks Dan, I made the edit.

Comment by rebron — July 15, 2009 @ 2:30 pm

6. Very good!

Comment by Eduardo — July 15, 2009 @ 5:23 pm

7. Seal… I don’t know what to say, it is good with a seal, and without a seal too. :)
    Wings… Moving in the right direction, but…
    New feathers are too perfectly ordered, looks like a lizard’s skin.
    I also suggest to shorten the “new feathers” zone.
    Again, it is easier to paint for better explanation:

Comment by SLA80 — July 15, 2009 @ 8:24 pm

8. Much better than the original. Although I loved the seal, it gave the icon more private feeling and mail of any kind is better when it is private. Is it possible to make the envelope more grey-white (like Iteration 1), but to keep the details of Iteration 3?
    I must say that the icon change really reflects the change between TB2 and TB3!

Comment by Luka — July 15, 2009 @ 9:49 pm

9. Many TB users also have Lightning installed. May I suggest that the “@” in the seal be replaced by a lightning zig-zag?

Comment by Mike A — July 16, 2009 @ 2:35 am

10. I’d agree on the unnatural perfection. The overall look is a bit too smooth. I’d welcome the feathers to bulge a bit above the wing borders (mostly external, but it wouldn’t hurt on the internal edge either). Something between the old punk look with feathers out of control, and the new smooth look.

But what I miss more is the shininess and saturation of the FF3.5 logo. The current iteration looks too washed out for me, somehow sad and non-dynamic. Also, the envelope looks a bit empty for its size. Can’t think of anything to add, though. Adding a post stamp (inked rubber) reminds me of Bat and turning the envelope around and adding a paper stamp would remind me of iMail or something. But it could use some detail as the FF-like gloss or the “continent map” on its globe.

Comment by deb00t — July 16, 2009 @ 2:49 am

11. I liked it a bit better with the red @-seal. While you can argue that not much will be left of it in a 16×16 size, it added a nice colorful spot to the center in the otherwise now more pale envelope.

Comment by rsx11m — July 16, 2009 @ 4:50 am

12. Agree with the others.
    Loved the seal, and the feathers are just too perfect,
    other than that, really great work!

Comment by Dominic Spitaler — July 16, 2009 @ 12:50 pm

13. I like it. A couple of comments though:
    1) The right wing still needs work. Iteration 2 was better in that respect — in iteration 3, they don’t really feel right (a bit too regular and too symmetrical; they need to be curved in one direction). The right wing should be more “joined” with the body.
    2) A bit more lighting and dimension, especially for the right wing.
    3) The @ seal should be brought back.

Comment by Mirek2 — July 16, 2009 @ 1:56 pm

14. es posible que entren en facabook,gente que manipule el ordenador? /,por que no haceis algo,si hay alguna lei esta gente deberia estar en la carcel pudriendose,

Comment by jose — July 17, 2009 @ 7:11 am

15. I like this version; it feels brighter and more modern, and the distinction between this iteration and the current icon feels like it’s a good amount of difference.

Comment by Dan Mosedale — July 17, 2009 @ 11:00 am

16. I completely agree with Mirek2. And I agree with deb00t, when he speaks about lost dynamics. When I have more free time (tomorrow?), I will make two additional drawings. First will be about original logo dynamics, and second will be about some remaining changes, which should be done to make this logo perfect (probably, I will draw here my own version of finished logo).
    P.S. Looks like Anthony is very busy recently, or he simply got tired of making Mozilla icons :)

Comment by SLA80 — July 17, 2009 @ 7:10 pm

17. There are a lot of good comments above that I really agree with (accept about the @, I don’t like that). But I would like to add that the connection between the body and the wing should be less hard. Maybe a few feathers to merge the join better.

Comment by Michael Buckley — July 18, 2009 @ 9:59 pm

18. Hello, here is my first promised drawing,
    it is “Thunderbird logo dynamics”:

Comment by SLA80 — July 20, 2009 @ 5:07 am

19. better :) anyway, I finally discovered what seal (It2) you all were talking about :) with the bottom flap detail of It3, and the seal if It2 (maybe a bit bigger/more detailed), and the outer feather “bulges”, it’d be fantastic. though, as my colleague pointed out, it seems to him that the wings “grow” from an unnatural position. dunno about *that* though ;)

Comment by deb00t — July 20, 2009 @ 5:53 am

20. Very Nice icon.
    Good job!

Comment by bakura — July 20, 2009 @ 11:07 am

21. I still like my original idea of incorporating orange in the logo; solidifies the connection to Firefox and visually looks attractive.

Comment by GE — July 20, 2009 @ 11:54 am

22. Really coming along well. I would try to increase the range of contrast in the feathers on the wings, with lighter feathers on top and darker feathers on the bottom, and also try to overlap them and stagger them a bit with shadows to add a little more detail and dimension. In the previous icon and in these new iterations the feathers on the wings all seem to line up in a series of rows, which doesn’t seem all that natural. The staggering of feathers that is starting to show up at the top of the head looks good.

Personally I really liked the crisp white envelope from iteration 1, but this envelope also looks good, especially with hte increased detail (just a bit more aged, but not as aged as the very yellow envelope in the original icon). I would personally go for a more reflective surface on the envelope as well, but that’s likely a debatable decision.

The smooth indentation for the eye looks absolutely fantastic!

Comment by Alex Faaborg — July 21, 2009 @ 12:22 am

23. >“Thunderbird logo dynamics”:
    >http://sla80.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/thunderbird-logo-dynamics.png

very cool analysis, and one of the reasons that I was really happy to hear the same designer would update both icons in quick succession :)

Comment by Alex Faaborg — July 21, 2009 @ 12:26 am

24. > Are you going to have Anthony create a similar envelope icon for file type associations in the OS?

A good .eml icon would be a huge boon!

Comment by James John Malcolm — July 21, 2009 @ 2:37 am

25. >“Thunderbird logo dynamics”:
    >http://sla80.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/thunderbird-logo-dynamics.png

Doesn’t that mean the TB logo should be on the right side of the wordmark on:

Comment by James John Malcolm — July 21, 2009 @ 2:48 am

26. I have also discovered, that new “envelope” icon should be used not only for .EML files, but for “mailto:” internet shortcuts in Windows. Of course, we definitely NEED such “envelope” icon!
    P.S. Nice to hear that Alex Faaborg is alive :), and watching Thunderbird logo creation process.
    P.S.2: I have re-uploaded “Natural Bird Wings 2″ drawing, it is here now:

Comment by SLA80 — July 21, 2009 @ 8:25 am

27. Not sure what wing is the left and what is the right, our right or the birds? :)
    Anyway, Mirek2 mentioned that the wing could be more connected to the body, and I came to think about this as well. It worked great on the older, less detailed logo, but tend to look slightly glued on on this more detailed version.
    Other than that, amazing work on this so far!

Comment by Andreas Nilsson — July 21, 2009 @ 9:48 am

28. WOW! that is way cool!

Comment by webdesign nürnberg — August 5, 2009 @ 2:37 am

29. “The icon is being rendered by Anthony Piraino at the Iconfactory.
    Changes in this iteration:
    * removed seal from previous iterations;
    * added detail to the envelope;
    * feathers shaped to be slightly more accurate”

This is a better and more defined icon. What is the website of the person who made this?

Comment by Nubiles — August 14, 2009 @ 3:42 am

30. The new thunderbird icon is really cool. I really like it. It’s very refreshing. Is it the final version?

Comment by crying baby — August 23, 2009 @ 5:29 am

31. es posible que entren en facabook,gente que manipule el ordenador? /,por que no haceis algo,si hay alguna lei esta gente deberia estar en la carcel pudriendose

Comment by Amy — November 29, 2009 @ 11:26 pm

32. I vote that the new Thunderbird icon looks a little too gray. Anyone with me? The envelope just looks a little “sickly”, especially when scaled down on the Windows 7 taskbar. Maybe it’s just because he sits between the Firefox and Outlook icons, which are bright orange and bright yellow, respectively. I think most “professional” icon designers have tried to make their colors cheery and “pop”, and thus, sadly, I think the Thunderbird icon has to join the foray. That said, the overall, new, detailed design is rather attractive!

Comment by Barrett — December 9, 2009 @ 6:18 pm

33. There are a lot of good comments above that I really agree with (accept about the @, I don’t like that). But I would like to add that the connection between the body and the wing should be less hard. Maybe a few feathers to merge the join better.

Comment by Bruce — May 19, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

34. Lol good Iconfactor.

Comment by Xbox 360 Umbau — May 26, 2010 @ 3:09 am

35. Cool icon for such a great open source software. I like it!

Comment by Nicole — May 28, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

36. Really cool icon. Thanks

Comment by web — August 12, 2010 @ 8:09 am

37. Hey, what a great Icon! That is really looking cool! Love that very creative icon you made!

Comment by Tami — September 27, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

38. Nice Icon, i think your work is great

Comment by dj hochzeit berlin — October 14, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

39. Your changes are very nice !!!!!

Comment by immobilien berlin — October 14, 2010 @ 2:00 pm

40. Fine alterations, specifically the envelope is quite nice now.

Comment by Stefan Gossmann — February 21, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

41. Very Nice icon. Good job!

Comment by News Portal — March 11, 2011 @ 3:13 am

42. I like the new changes done and it looks better now. But I I think it will be much better to put back the light shadow on the head. It makes it more real.

Comment by chrislao — September 29, 2011 @ 7:06 pm