November 22, 2006

tankless water heater

Tags: Home Improvement — 9:09 am Comments (7)

I’ve gotten a bit of a home owner’s vocabulary now that I’ll share in a bit. It’s good to know this stuff but I kinda don’t want to know sub-flooring, joists, dry wall, copper pipes, forced air, radiant heating, blah, blah, blah.

The next two items on tap is replacing our galvanized piping with copper piping. Galvanized pipes corrode and rust so we’re replacing everything with copper pipes which doesn’t do that I guess. We’re also stacking our dryer on top of our washing machine which is exciting because it’s giving us a ton more space. (I’m a tad domesticated.)
Anyway, I’ve been reading up on tankless water heaters and the benefits are:

• unlimited hot water
  • space savings, since it’s a small box
  • energy savings since it’s on demand hot water versus maintaining a hot water store

The cons seem to be that sometimes you have to wait for the hot water to get going which is lame if all you want to do is wash your hands or hand wash dishes.

The brand that people like I guess is Takagi. It’s interesting to read up on it anyway, apparently the system can be used for radiant floor heating too. Probably not going to get a tankless water heater but it’s cool when I hear other people get it installed, it’s becoming quite popular and already used widely in the UK.

There are other energy efficient things we’re looking at like insulation (easy to do, just need to get done) and solar panels (but not for another 5+ years). We’ve got energy efficient windows, a front loading washing machine, and that’s about it on the being energy efficient stuff.

1. You should be able to get a small hot water reservoir at the tap for washing your hands – set at the temp you want (one temp in the washroom, another in cooking area etc.)

Comment by Eugene Parks — November 22, 2006 @ 9:16 am

2. another arugment for a water tank is that the tank becomes a large temporary source of drinkable water in the event of an earthquake (holds a lot of water for emergency drinking) – provided you have installed it with the flexible fittings etc.

Comment by Eugene Parks — November 22, 2006 @ 9:25 am

3. combining comments 1 and 2 above. If you use a hot water tank and set the temperature lower than is typical but add heat suppliment systems where you use warm to hot water you may get what you want. Instant hot water in the shower and kitchen and warm water everywhere else. During an emergency, you would still have a large server of drinkable water.

Comment by Eugene Parks — November 22, 2006 @ 9:31 am

4. Most Japanese houses use tankless heaters run by gas. It’s a very common sight. Relatively rare in the US but I think it’s a great step.

Comment by gen — November 22, 2006 @ 12:57 pm

5. Tankless Water Heaters really are the best, most practical and efficient way to heat water. My titan SCR4 N-180 works great.

Comment by Tankless Water Heater Electric — November 25, 2006 @ 11:42 pm

6. Brian and I installed a tankless heater a hear ago when the old heater sprung a leak. We installed a Rinnai. Unfortunately there were no tax rebates on tankless heaters in 2005. This year you get $300. I’d install one if I were you. Lisa

Comment by Brian & Lisa — November 30, 2006 @ 12:54 pm

7. Hello. I tried a tankless water heater at our vacation home in Mexico. The salt water corroded the dip tube almost immediately. Any thoughts on how to get hot water for a shower with salt water? The solar bags we use hardly got warm during Christmas break. Thanks.

Comment by Marshall Haynis — January 16, 2008 @ 6:50 pm