My last day at Mozilla Corp. will be May 15th. People are going to ask why I’m leaving. Chase may have set the standard for this as far as farewell notes go. My reasons for leaving aren’t the same as his though.
(Note: I’m not leaving the mozilla.org project just taking some time off from that too. You’ll see me causing trouble again soon and my bugzilla account will still be the same it’s not tied to email@example.com so you can still file bugs against me).
Here are my reasons:
- I’ve been at this for 7 years! since February 1999. Netscape->Mozilla Corp I count it all as the same thing since it’s all been browser work off of NGL. The most I’ve had off in those 7 years was 2 weeks off that I took last year. Time for a break. For real.*
- I’d like two hours of my day back. This is more or less my commute the last 7+ years. HQ is a little far. I have 23,000 miles on the car I bought just last year.
- I set out to help establish Mozilla Corp (done), to ship phoenix/Firefox, which I wanted to do all the way back in 2002 (done), help gain market share for Firefox and restore some balance on the Web (done/mostly done). I think I did an ok job.
What am I going to do next:
- Take some time off. Watch my wife argue in her first trial in front of her former Judge that she clerked for. She’s going after the big bad insurance companies.
- I’m going to garden and landscape our front yard, and coordinate getting the porch fixed.
- Hang out with family and friends. See my niece, call friends up.
- Train for my third Ironman in August and try and raise some more money for Leukemia/Lymphoma Society.
I’m not sure what I’m doing next work wise, e.g. I’m not going to Google, or Flock/Microsoft (please don’t insult me). One thing for sure, I’ll still be participating w/ mozilla.org down the road. Too much fun, too much invested, and too important not to be where all the action is. :)
*For the old timers…I never did get my sabbatical from way back when.